What is Junior Solar Sprints?
The Junior Solar Sprints program is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) competition that engages students to design, build and race solar-powered model cars. For JSS participants, materials (including solar panels), instruction and professional development workshops are provided free of charge. The program also adheres to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- A list of materials provided can be found on our JSS Materials and Resources page.
- Additionally, our Photo and Video Library can help you to generate ideas about model car design.
- JSS Race Rules (updated for 2018 JSS)
- JSS 2018 Sponsorship Opportunities
After months of building, testing and experimentation, students compete in five divisional races for the fastest, most-innovative and best-engineered vehicles. The winners from these division races go on to compete against the best of the best at our Inter-County Final.
Who Can Participate?
Teams consist of up to four students.
- Students in grades 6 through 8
- Students between the ages of 11 and 14 participating in community or afterschool groups
- Eligible counties: Morris, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon or suburban areas in Essex, Passaic or Union
For more information about this program, contact Kristen Tomasicchio at (973) 267-7600 or send her an email here.
THE 2020 DIVISIONAL AND INTER-COUNTY FINAL RACES HAVE BEEN CANCELLED.
Though it may not come as much of a surprise at this point, due to the spread of COVID-19 and the associated restrictions on public gatherings, we are cancelling the 2020 Junior Solar Sprints divisional and inter-county final races that were coming up in May.
We know that many of you have spent countless classroom and after-school hours putting the work in to build great cars and compete successfully and we are sorry we won’t be able to see the fruits of that labor. We too have put in a lot of time through kit preparation and delivery, workshops, lessons, and one-on-one support that we hoped was leading up to one of our best JSS years yet.
To all the dedicated teachers, students, mentors, funders, volunteers and support staff, we cannot thank you enough for your efforts and dedication this school year. Please stay tuned through this spring for lots more from us as we adapt to this new learning environment, including more digital content and additional activities for students. And we’ll see you on the track in 2021!
2020 Race Dates and Details
What to Expect on Race Day
- Participants should arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- Races conclude between noon and 1 p.m.
- Wear sunscreen, bring water, bring snacks! Pop up tents are allowed but not provided.