What is Junior Solar Sprints?
The Junior Solar Sprints program is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) competition that engages students to design, build and race solar-powered model cars. For JSS participants, materials (including solar panels), instruction and professional development workshops are provided free of charge. The program also adheres to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- A list of materials provided can be found on our JSS Materials and Resources page.
- Additionally, our Photo and Video Library can help you to generate ideas about model car design.
- JSS Race Rules (updated for 2018 JSS)
- JSS 2018 Sponsorship Opportunities
After months of building, testing and experimentation, students compete in five divisional races for the fastest, most-innovative and best-engineered vehicles. The winners from these division races go on to compete against the best of the best at our Inter-County Final.
Who Can Participate?
Teams consist of up to four students.
- Students in grades 6 through 8
- Students between the ages of 11 and 14 participating in community or afterschool groups
- Eligible counties: Morris, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon or suburban areas in Essex, Passaic or Union
For more information about this program, contact Kristen Tomasicchio at (973) 267-7600 or send her an email here.
2020 Race Dates and Details
What to Expect on Race Day
- Participants should arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- Races conclude between noon and 1 p.m.
- Wear sunscreen, bring water, bring snacks! Pop up tents are allowed but not provided.