Program Specialist, Safe Routes to School
TransOptions, northwest New Jersey’s Transportation Management Association (TMA), is hiring a Program Specialist to join our dynamic team!
The successful candidate will work closely with our Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Coordinator to provide the education and encouragement needed to foster the creation of livable, and safe communities. The Program Specialist works with students, school administrators, faculty, parents and law enforcement officials to create safe and healthy environments for children. Whether it is conducting special events such as the Walking School Bus or Bike-to-School Day, presenting in-class bicycle and pedestrian safety programs or involving students in walkability studies, the Program Specialist has a direct responsibility to handle relationships and shows a comfort level interacting with school representatives and students of varying ages. The position also requires assistance at bike safety and Learn to Ride events, demands attention to detail and an interest in pedestrian and bicycle safety.
The ideal candidate brings a self-starter mentality to TransOptions’ friendly work environment that supports professional growth, creativity, collaboration and active lifestyles. The Program Specialist will report directly to the Bicycle Programs Coordinator and will work in tandem with other staff members.
- Conduct informal education, both in-class and community-based programs, for grades K-8 such. TransOptions’ SRTS programs include Traffic Safety Town, Ready to Walk and Roll, Bike Driver’s Ed, Bike Rodeos, Walk to School Days, etc.
- Have hands-on, familiarity with the Safe Routes to School program
- Customize SRTS program offerings for interested schools
- Gather information and report all TransOptions SRTS activities quarterly
- Work collaboratively with SRTS and other TransOptions staff to deliver effective programs
- BS or BA degree in education, communications or related field
- Strong communications skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of transportation safety as it relates to active forms of transportation
- Ability to work weekend events
- Valid NJ Driver’s License and car available for travel
- Ability to ride a bike
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in education, particularly in speaking in front of large groups of young students
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities
- Analytical skills and the ability to provide insight and opportunities for improvement
- Passion for pedestrian and bike safety
Benefits for this full-time position include full health, eye and dental insurance coverage, 403B retirement plan with employer match, flexible work hours plus paid vacation and personal time off.
TransOptions is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that delivers programs and services that improve mobility, safety, the environment and overall quality of life in northwestern New Jersey. A transportation management association (TMA), TransOptions helps travelers find alternative modes of transportation and offers programs in bicycle, pedestrian and driver safety, as well as environmental education and sustainability.
Interested applicants should email résumé and cover letter to Emily Casey, Bicycle Programs Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.