If you've ever considered carpooling, now is the time. TransOptions is encouraging northwestern New Jersey commuters to try carpooling this fall by introducing a free incentive program, It Pays to Carpool.
Three $100 gas cards will be awarded in a drawing for registered participants who carpool 15 days or more from September 4 to November 30, 2012. New and existing carpool riders who live or work in northwestern New Jersey are eligible. Commuters register for It Pays to Carpool by:
- Completing and submitting the Register Your Commute form (if not already registered!)
- Carpool a minimum of 15 days from September 4 to November 30, 2012.
- Submitting a tracking log of carpool days to TransOptions by December 4, 2012.
Carpools are a flexible commute option for two, three or four commuters, typically traveling 15 or more miles each way. They share expenses and decide how many days to ride to work together. Commuting expenses are reduced as the number of riders increase:
Annual Estimated Cost
Carpool with 2 People
$4,162 or 50%
Carpool with 3 People
$5,494 or 66%
Savings are approximate, based on a 5 day commute/week, incorporating operating costs for gas and maintenance at the Internal Revenue Service allowance of $.555/mile.
In addition to reducing the cost of your commute, getting to work in a carpool:
- Saves vehicle wear and tear
- Lowers stress by sharing commute driving
- Uses less fuel to conserve natural resources
- Reduces traffic congestion which puts fewer pollutants into the air
- Qualifies you for a FREE Emergency Ride Home
Carpool riders registered with TransOptions are eligible to receive a free ride home, up to two times per calendar year, should an emergency or unscheduled overtime arise. Some rules apply.
Note: Commuters who live or work in Morris, Sussex and Warren counties and suburban Essex, Passaic and Union counties are eligible to participate in It Pays to Carpool. TransOptions Board of Directors, employees and their relatives are not eligible.