2015 JSS Teacher Workshops will be held the following days. This year we will be pairing an "Intro to JSS" workshop with a follow-up "Teach, Design, Build" workshop. The introductory workshop will provide guidance for participation, including the rules of JSS, required paperwork and other aspects of the program. Key takeaways from the "Teach, Design, Build" workshop will include classroom activities to bolster students' comprehension and hands-on demonstrations to give teachers additional skills and experience to assist in troubleshooting and problem-solving. All workshops are held in the TransOptions conference room.
Junior Solar Sprints
What is Junior Solar Sprints?
The Junior Solar Sprints program is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) competition that engages students to design, build and race solar-powered model cars. For JSS participants, materials (including solar panels), instruction and professional development workshops are provided free of charge. The program also adheres to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- A list of materials provided can be found on our JSS Materials and Resources page.
- Additionally, our Photo and Video Library can help you to generate ideas about model car design.
- JSS Race Rules (updated for 2015 JSS)
After months of building, testing and experimentation, students compete in five divisional races for the fastest, most-innovative and best-engineered vehicles. The winners from these division races go on to compete against the best of the best at our Inter-County Final.
Who Can Participate?
Teams consist of up to four students.
- Students in grades 6 through 8
- Students between the ages of 11 and 14 participating in community or afterschool groups
- Eligible counties: Morris, Warren, Sussex, Hunterdon or suburban areas in Essex, Passaic or Union
For more information about this program, contact Cindy Reuther at (973) 267-7600 or send her an email here.
2016 Race Dates and Details
Monday, May 16 - Division 1 Race - Great Meadows Middle School, Great Meadows
Tuesday, May 17 - Division 2 Race - Kittatinny Regional High School, Newton (tentative)
Wednesday, May 18 - Division 3 Race - TBD
Thursday, May 19 - Division 4 Race - New Providence Middle School, New Providence
Friday, May 20 - Division 5 Race - Kingwood Township Middle School, Frenchtown
Monday, May 23 - Inter-County Final Race - TBD
What to Expect on Race Day
- Participants should arrive at 8:30 a.m.
- Races conclude between noon and 1 p.m.
- Wear sunscreen, bring water, bring snacks! Pop up tents are allowed but not provided.