Program Specialist, Bike and Pedestrian Safety
The successful candidate will execute a variety of planning-oriented safety efforts on behalf of the organization, with a focus on bicycle and pedestrian travel. The Program Specialist has a direct responsibility to conduct school drop off and pickup analyses, road safety audits and to prepare school travel plans. The entry-level position also calls for public outreach and assistance on Safe Routes to School infrastructure grant applications.
The ideal candidate brings a self-starter mentality and basic transportation planning knowledge. The position demands attention to detail and an interest in planning and safety. The Program Specialist reports to the Managing Director, and will work in tandem with project coordinators, project managers and other staff.
- Conduct school travel tallies and other surveys to obtain travel data for the Safe Routes to School program
- Conduct road safety audits, leading members of the community in an in-depth safety assessment of a given location
- Assist other staff in program delivery, including educational programs for students of all ages
- Assist school or municipal contacts with Safe Routes to School infrastructure grants or other applications for safety funding
- Develop Google Maps layers for parents and school representatives that highlight safety aspects (crossing guards, safe routes, sidewalks, etc.)
- BS or BA degree in transportation planning or related field
- Strong communications skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of transportation safety as it relates to active forms of transportation
- Ability to work occasional weekend events
- Ability to drive/car available for travel
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience coordinating stakeholders or groups
- Experience with Google or ArcGIS mapping
- Analytical skills and the ability to provide insight and opportunities for improvement
- Passion for bike and pedestrian safety
- Ability to be flexible to handle multiple priorities
Benefits include full health, eye and dental insurance coverage, 403B retirement plan with employer match, flexible work hours plus paid vacation and personal time off.
TransOptions is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that delivers programs and services that improve mobility, safety, the environment and overall quality of life in northwestern New Jersey. A transportation management association (TMA), TransOptions helps travelers find alternative modes of transportation and offers programs in bicycle, pedestrian and driver safety, as well as environmental education and sustainability.
Interested applicants should email resume and cover letter to Dan Callas, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.